Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #61

nike has no photo

by: nike
March 10th, 2004
Metric Time
What is "Metric Time"?  I cannot find anything in the documentation, nor can I find other sources which match what is displayed.  It appears to be a count of seconds since the beginning of the Common Era, except that it would be off by more than a year.  I have also determined that it increments 86460 times per day, so what is it counting?

So far as I know, currently the only "metric" unit of time is the SI second, which is almost exactly 1/86,400 mean solar day.  The original metric system created by the French also included a "decimal second" that was 1/100,000 day.  This seems to be neither.

Perhaps a better "metric time" would be Unix time, which is commonly used by computer people around the world, being a count of seconds since 1970-01-01 00:00Z.  This would probably be useful to a lot of people.

I am familiar with all the others, including Julian Dates, Swatch .beats and Udt, but I donīt know who uses this "Metric Time," so please enlighten me.

Discussion:
hoover has no photo

by: hoover
June 4th, 2004
Re: Metric Time
Hereīs a description of Metric Time but is a little different I think.

http://zapatopi.net/metrictime.html
nike has no photo

by: nike
March 13th, 2004
What are the principles behind Metric Time?  I might want to post them on my own web site.

If you know the URL, we might be able to find the page in the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

As I stated, if you drop Metric Time, Unix time would be much better, as it is commonly used by computer programmers.  (But Iīm sure you must know this.)  I use TRAqDATE to find the current Unix time.
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
March 11th, 2004
Metric time was a format that someon proposed to me several years ago and I added it in. I īm not sure they are actually promoting it nay more though - and I never really did understand it exactly - I just added it in the way it was listed - I canīt seem to get to the old web site any more... so I expect it is now defunct.

Is anyone using this? perhaps I should just drop it?
--
Fair Winds, and watch for squalls from leeward.

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web development: PawPrint.net