Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #53

p_nicol@msn.com has no photo

by: p_nicol@msn.com
March 3rd, 2004
WT600941 Sync/probs
I cannot get the beta 3 to synchronize at all. Everytime I attempt it WT6 goes unresponsive and must be ended via Task Manager. timesync.exe shows as a process but is using 0% CPU, no other WT6 processes are operational. System idle time is showing 97% with 3% for Task Manager itself. Has any one else run into this it´s pretty queer. WT552748 is funtioning flawlessly BTW.

Discussion:
gerry has no photo

by: gerry
May 31st, 2004
Re: WT600941 Sync/probs
I am using XP Pro and experienced similar sync problems...However, I changed the Synchronization from NTP to Simple Time (wasn´t there a similar issue with this many WT versions back?), and changed the connection type to "Detect" instead of "Fixed" as I use dial-up (you may want to set your preference there even with DSL, broadband, satellite, etc. to see if this fixes problem).  Although highly unrecommended, I am using two firewalls at the same time: Norton Internet Security 2003 (there are some issues with the 2004 version) and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5 on the same computer (no crashes for past year). The default for SPFP 5.5 is to "ASK" for internet access--this must be changed to "ALLOW".  I set NIS 2003 manually to allow timesync.exe to pass.  I do not use the XP Pro built-in firewall, so cannot help there. The fastest way to determine whether or not it is WT or your firewall is to temporarily disable the firewall long enough to see if you have a valid time sync. If WT syncs, it is not WT but your firewall; still no sync, then look at WT--uninstall then reinstall WT and try again.

Hope this helps,

Gerry
worldtimer has no photo

by: worldtimer
May 7th, 2004
I  am  running world Time  behind  Fire Wall (tiny Fire Wall 5.5)  with NO functional  problems on Windows  2000!

Everything  works  so far  exept  there is  a minor problem  with  software  as  the SOUNDS  are  not  properly  "assigned"  in to their field  when program is  installed.

for  unknown me  reason   the  setting  is   hh:nn:ss  instead   hh:mm:ss    (differentiation between  month  and  minutes?)

I noted  that  in general menu  changing of  fonts  
(clock attributes)  for  locations  doesn´t  work.

I  will  make  another  post  for  "SUGGESTION"!

PS.

Provided  is a  snap shoot of Screen Calibration shoot:
Uploaded Image
gtmikey has no photo

by: gtmikey
April 30th, 2004
I have two nearly identical computers (the way the HDD is partitioned is different) running the same OS (W2K Pro) on the same wireless LAN (identical connectivity including network card) through my firewall and out a cable modem.  Neither has a personal firewall installed and both use the same anti-virus and at the same version levels.  Both have Versaverter (which updates) and WT600941.   One PC Syncs and the other does not.  The one which does not sync has the smaller C drive (4G with 606M free) and is directly above the wireless router.  The one which syncs has a much larger C drive and is much further from the wireless router.  The machine which will not sync will not update WT either.  No other network problems are experienced and the PC acts as if WT cannot see the net (error 404).  I am writing this from the non-sync computer.  Of course, both have the Summer Time issue with most of Europe but I believe that to be an error in the DST file.

I use another product (About Time which does a better job of the sync as it uses SNTP but does not have the world wide time zone and multiple clocks ability) to keep both my PCs synced to the NIST time server so this is not a major problem for me.

I thought that pointing out that essentially identical machines have and do not have this issue may be helpful in identifying the problem.  It does not appear to be firewall or time server related with both machines using the same firewall and the FW having no machine specific entries.  The time servers for getting time are identical.

I hope this helps.
gtmikey has no photo

by: gtmikey
April 30th, 2004
I have two nearly identical computers (the way the HDD is partitioned is different) running the same OS (W2K Pro) on the same wireless LAN (identical connectivity including network card) through my firewall and out a cable modem.  Neither has a personal firewall installed and both use the same anti-virus and at the same version levels.  Both have Versaverter (which updates) and WT600941.   One PC Syncs and the other does not.  The one which does not sync has the smaller C drive (4G with 606M free) and is directly above the wireless router.  The one which syncs has a much larger C drive and is much further from the wireless router.  The machine which will not sync will not update WT either.  No other network problems are experienced and the PC acts as if WT cannot see the net (error 404).  I am writing this from the non-sync computer.  Of course, both have the Summer Time issue with most of Europe but I believe that to be an error in the DST file.

I use another product (About Time which does a better job of the sync as it uses SNTP but does not have the world wide time zone and multiple clocks ability) to keep both my PCs synced to the NIST time server so this is not a major problem for me.

I thought that pointing out that essentially identical machines have and do not have this issue may be helpful in identifying the problem.  It does not appear to be firewall or time server related with both machines using the same firewall and the FW having no machine specific entries.  The time servers for getting time are identical.

I hope this helps.
tjbastro2 has no photo

by: tjbastro2
April 27th, 2004
In the category of Sync. does anybody know if you can specify your own internal NTP server?  My company blocks ntp queries on the net.  I tried doing this by typing it in the area that specifies the ntp server - but this does not work.

LATER .... after RTFM I got my answer modify the wtServers.wtd file to include the inside NTP server.
jdhall@commspeed.net has no photo

by: jdhall@commspeed.net
March 17th, 2004
Same problem. My laptop running win 2000 syncs flawlessly. New home computer using XP home locks up on sync.

Fast mousework can disable auto-sync at startup. Going to properties can delete the sync, and then have to go to network to delete the initial sync there.  Then WorldTime can run, but not sync - which kind of defeats the purpose a bit.

Only other clue is that changing the connection type fron auto to fixed or none will lock everything up as well.
chelmite has no photo

by: chelmite
March 15th, 2004
I´m having the same problem.  WT starts up, says Network: Connection Detected, but it´s hung.  I have DSL, Norton Internet Security (I´ve permitted timesync.exe to access the net.), I´ve changed the TimeServer entry in worldtime.conf to 207.200.81.113 (a timeserver near me), but no go.

Any idea what´s wrong?
Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
March 11th, 2004
Unfortunately the log file dir is hard coded :( My fault I know... I´ll try to get that sorted in the next release (my bad. - I´ve know about this for ages and I keep forgetting to fix it)

--
Fair Winds, and watch for squalls from leeward.
Portrait for jacques

by: jacques
March 11th, 2004
Maybe this will help you?
I had the same problem until I updated my firewall giving timesync.exe access to the Internet. Also check the user guide under Troubleshooting - Synchronization.

I have another problem - viewing the sync log. It seems to be looking for the log file in the wrong directory. 'WorldTime'  instead of  'WorldTimedata'  where I found it. Where do you update the log file directory?

--
Jacques Tredoux

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web design and maintenance: PawPrint.net