Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #342

ron has no photo

by: ron
December 8th, 2004
Program hang - required powerdown of system
Well, just used vv for the first time, and managed to crash it, and my system within a couple of minutes...  (my fault, as it turns out) But, I have two or three suggestions.. ~g~

First - I´m an old geezer - the eyes aren´t what they used to be and glasses only help a bit on the ultra tiny text in the window halves of the program.  Gimme an option to RAISE THE FONT SIZE - hey, it has scrollable windows, so larger text shouldn´t be a problem.

Now... on how that crash took place.  I clicked on the icon at the top that sez-on-cursor-hover, ´open the system calculator.´  That one click was enough - my system locked up.  Even with Norton Crashguard, which is usually capable of killing a stalled process, it was eventually a power-down, start all over kind of wrap-around-the-axle hang-up.

It opened a DOS window - and nothing happened there, except a black screen in the window.  Then, I remembered - I had deleted the system calculator, because I found it made just too many errors.  I downloaded the free Calc98 - and never looked back, until now.

I use 98SE - in case you´re wondering...  But, my
next-to-last suggestion is, error-trap the program so that if someone else has removed the system calculator program for the same reason I did, have the program recover from a file-not-found situation. (My guess as to what happened...)  Better yet, last suggestion, put the ´system calculator´ in the options file, and let me point to which calculator executable I would like to use.

Great program - particularly since it is free!  I know the time it takes to create this stuff, it´s enormous - so I´ll get a contribution, at least enough to buy the family a nice dinner, headed your way shortly!

Cheers!

Discussion:
Portrait for baldy_aussie

by: baldy_aussie
December 9th, 2004
Program hang - required powerdown of system
Here´s a quick workaround for you Ron;
place a copy of your Calc98.exe in the WINDOWS Folder (Directory).
Rename it to CALC.EXE.
Now, any call to C:/WINDOWS/CALC.EXE will load Calc98, even if the reference is to %WINDOWS_HOME_DIRECTORY%/CALC.EXE

Baldy

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyVersaverter Support RSS feed for: Versaverter Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web design and maintenance: PawPrint.net