Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #774

iamnu has no photo

by: iamnu
August 18th, 2007
Installation Problem
I have version 6.0.0.941 on a backup external drive, and now, a new computer, as  I restored WorldTime from the external drive, and it works just like before. However, it is not listed in the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel.
Why is this?  Is it necessary that it be in the Add/Remove Programs list?

So in order to get it to appear in the Add/Remove Programs list, I then downloaded a new version in the form of wt552748.zip, unzipped it to c:programs filesPawPrint.net, and while it installs successfully (it appears in the Add/Remove Programs list), it does not retain any of my previous settings.

Iīm happy to run WorldTime without it appearing in the Add/Remove Programs list, but for some reason, this just doesnīt seem right to me.

Sooo, can someone explain whatīs going on here?  Why canīt I use wt552748.zip to install WorldTime using one of the four options available to install WorldTime so that it appears in the Add/Remove Programs list, AND use the setting I had been using on my old/crashed computer...the ones that are on the external backup drive?

Any help or insight into whatīs going on will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Bernie

Discussion:
paulg has no photo

by: paulg
September 7th, 2007
Installation Problem

I may have an answer why WT 6 keeps forgetting setup changes.

At the bottom of the worldtime.conf file located in the data sub-directory there is a parameter called ReadOnly. My file has a value of False. I do not know but it seems to me that this might have been designed to keep the user from permanently changing the configuration.

Hope this helps Paul

paulg has no photo

by: paulg
August 27th, 2007
Installation Problem
I have WorldTime 6 installed on both a Win2K and Win XP Pro system and have no problem with either system remembering my settings.

AS I RECALL version 6 was a major rewrite from version 5. One of the changes was that version 6 does not make any use of the registry. Thus there is no need for WorldTime to be added to the ADD/REMOVE list. Just delete the WorldTime directory and all sub-directories and it is gone. Another change is that the configuration and clock files are different so you can not use version 6 files for version 5 or vise versa.

Regurding version 6 not remembering the settings. You need to be sure that any shortcut points to the folder with WorldTime.exe in it I assume yours does or WorldTime wouldnīt start. This folder must have as a minimum a sub-folder named data and another named loc-data.  The data folder should have at a minimum files named worldtime.conf and wtclocks.wtd. You must have permission to write to this folder and these files. When WorldTime is closed manually or when shutting down your computer WorldTime writes to both of these files so that any changes are saved.

Hope this helps.

Portrait for grugeon

by: grugeon
August 26th, 2007
Installation Problem
well...

I find winXP handles the syncing just fine and worldtime does all I want in terms of knowing what time it is when i am corresponding with/phoning people all over the world so i am quite happy with it as it is.  I disable the syncing.
--
David Grugeon
iamnu has no photo

by: iamnu
August 26th, 2007
Installation Problem
Okay, I give up!

WorldTime 5.5.2.748 canīt sync because of a firewall problem, as documented in the help manual.

WorldTime 6.0.0.941 canīt retain the settings between computer restarts, as documentd several times in this forum.

And no one seems to be fixing or advising about these problems.

I can do without these problems.

Maybe someone can recommend an alternate program for all those interested...

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web design and maintenance: PawPrint.net