Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #615

Portrait for bspeight

by: bspeight
September 20th, 2006
I´ve given up!
With considerable sadness, I have decided to stop using WorldTime.

When it was at its best, there was simply nothing to touch it, but v6.0.0.941 should never have been released on an unsuspecting public.

To get it to work at all, I have had to spend a day fixing obvious errors like sound file names which were incorrect, or just not there. Then there was the more tricky repair to the Daylight Saving Time setup for Australia, using the DST Manager, which would freeze or blue-screen, just when I thought I had my setup right.

And having finally managed to get the clocks displaying the right time, after persisting for a long time, one of the posters in this forum told us that it was the titlebar clock feature which was stopping Windows Start/Run, Search and Help functions from working at all in Windows XP. Sure enough, I turned it off, and they all started working again. Thanks to the anonymous poster who twigged to that!

But the final nail in the coffin is that I cannot run my PC for more than 24 hours without WorldTime´s freezing. Typically, it will freeze during the course of an 8-hour day. To avoing having to reboot the PC, I tried using the Windows Task Manager, to kill it and then restart it, but that simply does not work. Once it freezes, it stays frozen until you reboot.

I acknowledge that WT is a free package, and Scott obviously has other more important things to do these days, which is his right. Certainly, almost none of the many problems posted on here have been addressed by Scott, and this version has been on the Web for some years now The WT executable is dated 18 July 2003, so I cannot expect any good news, any time soon.

So, sadly Scott, for me this is good-bye. I am now using a less exciting, much less versatile package (still free), which still tells the time in 9 places, and chimes nicely, and manages to synch to an atomic clock without freezing - and it is being supported with periodic new releases.

Cheerio, I wish you well.
--
Regards...

Bernard Speight

Discussion:
bushsimmer has no photo

by: bushsimmer
October 14th, 2006
I´ve given up!
so unfortunate you cant get this excellent software working.
every time i´ve installed it it has worked without a hitch; i can get some 10 places set up, at the fly.
one of the most necessary, and EASIEST to set up in xp, whenever i have to reinstall my OS, which i do on one of my machines because i use it as beta-testing machine for some system heavy programs.

i´m wondering if it would be just easier that the next time you happen to reinstall your OS you install WT6. i know that when i muck around my system too much trying to get just one thing to work correctly, which i had to after i uninstalled Nero7 and went back to Nero5, the system ´might not know which was is up´, just like i didnt after munging this up & that.

a fresher system install things usually run as easy as their developers claim, unless the prog is bad from jump-street.
fortunately, for me, and for some other users, WT6 is my top-choice for worldwide desktop time synchronization.

good luck,
don
ralphmc has no photo

by: ralphmc
September 22nd, 2006
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG
IAM READING ALL THEASE POST ABOUT WOURLD TIME AND PROBLEMS WITH IT.
AND IT MAKES ME WONDER WHAT I AM DOING WRONG ?
I INSTALLED IT
SET IT LIKE I WANTED IT
AND IT WORKS
LIKE IT IS SUPPOSED TO
EVERYTIME THAT I CLICK ON THE ICON.
SORRY THAT I LET ALL YOU WINNERS DOWN

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web development: PawPrint.net