Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #556

racingoyster has no photo

by: racingoyster
April 24th, 2006
Open Source World Time Server?
In reading the treads, there seems to be problems reported for WTS 6.0 over and over again for the past two years, with no reply from PawPrint and no updates to the software. What about making WTS open source and letting the user community pitch in and help fix the problems?

Discussion:
paulg has no photo

by: paulg
May 6th, 2006
I am running 6.0.0.941

Where are the location text files located. When I look at the files in the loc_data directory I do not find most of the files to be standard text files when I use wordpad. They all seem to be similar with the text "Austrailian Western" about the only readable text. I do find that the export.all.txt file to be a straight text file. This was created using the export everything function in your Location Manager program. Is the method of change or additon to export the data make changes and then inport the changed file?

I have added my home location using the Location Manager but I find that I have to ad the locaiton a second time for the
latitude and longitude to  register correctly in Location Manager. This still does not allow the map to display my location using the context menu "This clock/View on Map" function but the location is shown correctly on the Locaiton Manager map. I get an "Invalid floating point operation" error and I get the same error when I try to get "Astronomical Data" for my new location using the context menu for my clock.

The help file Appendix B suggests there should be a  wtZones.wtd file but it does not exist on my system.

Portrait for sbaker

by: sbaker
May 2nd, 2006
Yes I am...

TO Open Source WT isnīt really possible. It uses some components that I canīt make available. Also to set up a way to open source a Delphi app would require a lot of work - far more then it would take to actually work on the application at this point.

Most of the problems being reported are related to DST and Locations - all this is in text files and can easily be changed - so in effect that is already open source.

I still do mean to get an online database going to that data and allow user submissions and editing - just like a Wiki. But Iīm still swamped and any way I slice it - I need to dedicate about 5-6 solid days to get any option going - I simply donīt have that kind of time right at the moment - but I will get there - please hang in there - and for all the location and DST issues try editing the data files.
--
Fair Winds, and watch for squalls from leeward.
Portrait for bspeight

by: bspeight
May 2nd, 2006
Sounds lika a great idea, but it seems Scott is not even reading this forum any longer :(
--
Regards...

Bernard Speight
chrstphrr has no photo

by: chrstphrr
April 25th, 2006
If PawPrint would consider this, Iīd like to offer my time to help with WorldTime.  Iīm quite familiar with Delphi (and use primarily version 7 now, but the differences are few).

It would be a shame to have such a great program stagnate, especially one built in Delphi!

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web development: PawPrint.net