Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #547

bernie has no photo

by: bernie
April 14th, 2006
The Daylight Savings Time Issue in Calculations
Well, since the Daylight Savings Time Issue is clearly out there let me outline a very related problem that we had a few weeks back that may help in debugging this.

The United States had just switched to Daylight Savings Time.  We were in the process of setting up a conference call so as we usually do we used the "Time Calculator" to determine what time it was here when it was 5:30PM in Paris.  So we set the date AND time for the Monday call and got an answer like 10:30AM.  Which was the time used a few months back.

Upon talking with our folks over there they mentioned that the time would be 9:30AM our time since "Paris does not go on Daylight Savings until the following week."

I did not believe it so I added the time zone to my Outlook calendar and sure enough the time World Time is reporting on that day did NOT take into account the proper change due to Daylight Savings happening here but not there.  

At that time we took this to mean that the "Time Calculator" does not check for changes in Daylight Savings Time based on the calculated date.

Which a) We never noticed that before.  b) So why put in the date if the tool basically ignores it and used the rule for the current time.

However, now it looks like this failure of Daylight Savings Time might be the center of this little problem.

Hope this information helps localize a cure for the problem.  When you are depending on these calculations (which are complex thatīs why we use the tool!) we donīt do a check thought other sources.  Hey, whatever my calculator tells me I donīt manually check the numbers!

Anyhow, thanks in advance for the help getting to the bottom of this issue.

Bernie

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
web development: PawPrint.net