Innovative Web Design and Application Development
PawPrint.net

PawPrint.net Forum

Thread #103

paulg has no photo

by: paulg
April 6th, 2004
Time Sync Fails In Version 6.0.0.941
Time Sync does not work in version 6.0.0.941. I updated from version 6.0.0.937 on the 3rd of April.  The log indicates success before April 4th and every attempt after the update was a failure. I have tried time-a.nist, time-b.nist and ben.cs.wisc.edu with the same results.

The first time I click the Sync Now button on the Preferences/Synchronization tab I get am imediate Failed message, when I click the button a second time the message changes to Sync Attempt. The preferences function seems to be frozen. If I now use Task Manager to terminate the timesync process the preferences function now allows changes.

Discussion:
paulg has no photo

April 10th, 2004
Re: Time Sync Fails In Version 6.0.0.941
There is a definate time sychronization difference between 6.0.0.937 and 6.0.0.941. I loaded 937 as well as 941 on my system.

When I try to sychronize using 941 and the
time-a.nist.gov server, sychronization fails every time. I even modified the wtservers.wtd file to use the IP address posted on the NIST web site instead of the server name. I had the same results, the attempt always fails with the message "FAIL: Response From Time Server Timed Out". This would seem to eliminate any issue with my DNS server. Synchronize works if I use the  server "time.nist.gov". I just checked the U.S. NIST web site (http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html ) and confirmed that the time server names are still current. I still get some failures with the time.nist.gov address but not every time.

When I close 941 and start 937 I do not have the same problem. I can successfully synchronize using the server names "time.nist.gov" or "time-a.nist.gov".

In 941 most of the time when it fails to synchronize the first time I get the Failed message in the clock window status bar. If I try to synchronize again the program stays in the Attempt mode. I have to use taskmanager to terminate the timesync process. Then I have to go into the preferences /settings mode and then back out to get the message Network: Connection Detected in the clock status bar before I can try to synchronize again.

A COUPLE SUGGESTIONS

1. I would like to suggest that the sychronization difference in the wtsycnlog be shown as seconds or better yet minutes and seconds instead of fractions of 24 hours.
It seems unlikely that the error would be more than a few minutes in most cases. It is just a pain to have to do the calculatlion myself, especially if I want to see the trend easily. I am not sure there is any reason to show the before and after times used to create the difference.  

2. It would be nice to be able to add comments to the wtservers file. This would allow people to use the IP address in place of the server name but be able to add the server name and location for reference. NIST recomends that the IP address be used instead of the server name on the non NIST sites that they list since sites can change server names for whatever reason.

paulg has no photo

April 10th, 2004
paulg has no photo

April 10th, 2004
There is a definate time sychronization difference between 6.0.0.937 and 6.0.0.941. I loaded 937 as well as 941 on my system.

When I try to sychronize using 941 and the
time-a.nist.gov server, sychronization fails every time. I even modified the wtservers.wtd file to use the IP address posted on the NIST web site instead of the server name. I had the same results, the attempt always fails with the message "FAIL: Response From Time Server Timed Out". This would seem to eliminate any issue with my DNS server. Synchronize works if I use the  server "time.nist.gov". I just checked the U.S. NIST web site (http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/service/time-servers.html ) and confirmed that the time server names are still current. I still get some failures with the time.nist.gov address but not every time.

When I close 941 and start 937 I do not have the same problem. I can successfully synchronize using the server names "time.nist.gov" or "time-a.nist.gov".

In 941 most of the time when it fails to synchronize the first time I get the Failed message in the clock window status bar. If I try to synchronize again the program stays in the Attempt mode. I have to use taskmanager to terminate the timesync process. Then I have to go into the preferences /settings mode and then back out to get the message Network: Connection Detected in the clock status bar before I can try to synchronize again.

A COUPLE SUGGESTIONS

1. I would like to suggest that the sychronization difference in the wtsycnlog be shown as seconds or better yet minutes and seconds instead of fractions of 24 hours.
It seems unlikely that the error would be more than a few minutes in most cases. It is just a pain to have to do the calculatlion myself, especially if I want to see the trend easily. I am not sure there is any reason to show the before and after times used to create the difference.  

2. It would be nice to be able to add comments to the wtservers file. This would allow people to use the IP address in place of the server name but be able to add the server name and location for reference. NIST recomends that the IP address be used instead of the server name on the non NIST sites that they list since sites can change server names for whatever reason.

worldtimer has no photo

by: worldtimer
April 9th, 2004
Re: Time Sync NEVER Fails In any Version including new BETA 6.0.0.941

The  NEW  BETA  VERSION    works  very well with all futures.

I  have  NO  PROBLEM,  except  for  SOME  missing  wave files,  which I have  replaced any  way.

I am using  both Fire Wall and Proxy.
Love Big Ben  and chimes!  

I  am using  World Time  since about 1997  and love it.

Never  had  any problem with it.  

I  am  using time.nist.gov time  server.

The  sync  problem might  be  unrelated  to the software.
You  need to play  a little  with settings  to   tweak it.

Will  NOT  sinc  if the DATE is  wrong as far  as I  recall.

I  have  NOT  tried  any  alarms  as of  yet.

This is  really  GREAT  work  by  Scott  Baker!

Congrats  SCOTT!  One of the  best I  have  seen.

I  wish it will have  also  internet  auto dialer wich  will configure  dial-ups of  choice, and   stock  market  ticker,   work with  http://quotetracker.com  ( for LINUX )  ....  and work  with LINUX   as  I  have  enough  of  Windoz.!

Time  to  feed  PENGUINS!

For  those who want to experiment  with  LINUX  I am recomending  for  start  LINUX on CD:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/index-en.html  

Another  great program I can  praise is also  freeware
Sys Info:

http://www.coolbeans.ws/download.shtml

http://www.coolbeans.ws/sysinfo.shtml

http://www.coolbeans.ws

ENJOY!  

frank has no photo

by: frank
April 8th, 2004
From time to time I update my list of public servers from this website: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/clock2a.html

Let me know if you would like a copy of the file I am using now.

Andy
loron@yahoo.com
paulg has no photo

April 7th, 2004
The log file I am looking at is the one in the Data directory. I see entries that show success until April 4th when all the subsequent attempts fail. I am running W2k SP4 and I am logged on a Power User account, but that has always been the case so I do not think that could be the problem.
Portrait for grugeon

by: grugeon
April 6th, 2004
My time sync is working OK but there is a problem with the logfile.  The logfile is being written in \pawprint.net\worldtime\data\ but when you click the log button it tries to open it from \pawprint.net\worldtime\ and canīt find it.

I wonder if this change could account for your logfile apparently ending when you upgraded.  

--
David Grugeon

RSS feed Feed Description
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feedFull RSS feed Complete RSS feed
Subscribe to the complete PawPrint.net Forum RSS forum feed for this category onlyWorldTime Support RSS feed for: WorldTime Support
A Rich Site Summary (RSS) feed is an xml data file that provides a summary of the information contained here. It is not designed to be viewed in your browser, but instead by rss reader software. If you do not know what this means - you can safely ignore it, as it is provided for advanced users with rss reader software only.

i
To contribute to our forums you must login. New members can register for a user account.

Copyright © 1992-2024 PawPrint.net
XDe Modular CMS: PawPrint.net